Data security is something that every business big or small needs to take seriously. In fact, a 2017 report from smallbiz.com found that 43% of cyberattacks target small businesses. Even more concerning is that 60% of small companies that are attacked go out of business within six months.
But in order to protect against risks you need to know where to find them. You’ll need a plan that is reliable, easy to implement and affordable. An easy place to start is in your print environment.
Here are some security innovations to look for in your next printer. Each can help you to protect your business from the most common document security risks.
• Secure Printing – Unsecured printing presents a number of risks starting with your staff. Employees routinely send documents to the printer and then leave them lying there when they get distracted. This can expose proprietary or confidential data to prying eyes. Seek out a printer offering user authentication. The printer will only release documents when users enter a PIN or other identifier at the device. No more unsecured data lying around!
• Print Encryption – Data sent to the printer unencrypted leaves you vulnerable to hackers. File encryption protects data as it moves through your network ensuring safety from creation to output.
• Data Clearing – Today’s multifunction printers are essentially computers complete with hard drive storage. Removing data whether physically, or automatically through backup can keep you safe. Look for a printer that enables data deletion of processed or stored data using approved data cleaning algorithms.
• Cloud to Device Automation – If your team stores or scans proprietary data to personal or unauthorized apps on the cloud, you’re at risk. The right printer can eliminate this risk while helping to improve productivity by automating cloud to device workflows so it’s easier to access cloud apps securely.
• Password Protection – Unlocked file cabinets can put your data at risk. Using your MFP to digitize documents and then copy protect them makes information harder to access and frees up space. Adding another level of security with password protected scanning can prevent unauthorized access.
Each of these options can help you to protect your data against most common threats. All are available with Xerox’s ConnectKey enabled devices. If you’d like to learn more about data security and ConnectKey, give us a call! We’re always glad to help!
P.S. Do you know how secure your printers are? Take our quick printer assessment and find out if you’re at risk!